To produce very small components in the injection moulding process requires maximum possible accuracy and precision. From the material and machine to the mould, everything must be streamlined to this objective. Especially in the field of miniaturisation, many interesting developments are gaining ground. Be it minimal connectors for use in automobile engineering, ball bearing retainers for use in nano-mechanics or micro pipettes in medical technology or biotechnology. To produce such minimal items, Sumitomo (SHI) Demag uses customized systems based on the standard platform to purposefully handle shot weights of merely a few grams and component weights of as little as a few tenths or even a few centigrams.
The core of the processing of plastics of minimal size is the micro injection unit. This is a customized plastification unit for shot weights of 5 to 0.1 g. The special worm with a special geometry and integral back-flow lock can be used for injection pressures of up to 2,700 bar. Thus, the most delicate injection or dosing profiles can be easily produced while maintaining the required residence time. Naturally, this whole system can be integrated in the lower machine series for clamping forces up to 500 kN. The result – utmost precision and cost-efficient production.
Benefits of the Sumitomo (SHI) Demag microinjection unit
1. Cost-efficient production of high-precision microminiature components,
2. Micro injection unit can be integrated in any standard machine for a clamping force up to 500 kN,
3. Cost-efficient production of components through the use of standard granulates,
4. Highest precision through ultrasonic displacement measuring systems and active tool protection, and
5. Special programmes for micro injection moulding applications.
Minimal connectors for use in automobile engineering, ball bearing retainers for use in nano-mechanics or micro pipettes in medical technology or biotechnology.